Saturday, January 28, 2012

TTC and x ray

Sometimes I think I’m dumb. LOL

I went to see a GP a couple of days ago – to be specific on CD11. I’ve been experiencing really sore ribs and thought I should get it checked out. The doctor suggested that I go for an x ray just to make sure as she couldn’t really pin point what exactly was wrong with me.

So I went.

It’s been known that x rays are dangerous for your baby in utero. The vast majority of pregnant women will not even think about having an x ray.

Well of course I wasn’t pregnant.

But after the x ray as I was on the bus on the way home, I started thinking. Are x rays OK when you are ovulating or TTC?

As usual, I searched the net for answers. And I meant SEARCHED.

Came across a really good article:

According to the American College of Radiology (ACR) if you should have an x ray just prior to conception, there is no risk to you or the soon-to-be-baby. If you were to have an x ray in week 3 or week 4, the risks are probably zero at less than 10 Rads. Greater than 10 Rads indicated a possible miscarriage. In weeks 5 through 10, but between 5-10 Rads they say, “Potential effects are scientifically uncertain and probably too subtle to be clinically detectable.” Over 10 Rads and the chances of malformations increase with the dose. In weeks 11 through 17, at the 5-10 Rad dose “Potential effects are scientifically uncertain and probably too subtle to be clinically detectable.” Though ACR notes that you can have IQ damage over the 10 Rad mark, increasing with exposure. Once you hit weeks 18-27, you don’t see issues with x rays until you hit the greater than 10 Rad dose, “IQ deficits not detectable at diagnostic doses.” After week 28, the risks are the same to the baby as the mother. Doses less than 5 Rad are always considered to cause no issues at any point in pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment